The Gardens and Grounds of Nether Winchendon House
Nether Winchendon House is a founder member of the Historic Houses Association. John and Phyllis Spencer Bernard were serious and knowledgeable dendrologists. The garden is a founder member of the National Gardens Scheme (1927). It was laid out in its present form in the late 1950’s in order to reduce the amount of labour required. John and Phyllis planted what were at that time rare and special trees and shrubs. There is an avenue of Metasequoia Glyptostroboides (Dawn Redwood) leading to the house. In 1973 this avenue won first prize in the Bucks CC tree-planting competition instituted after the catastrophe of Dutch elm disease. The lawns slope south of the house down to the River Thame and have great charm linking the garden to the water meadows across the river. Sir Scrope Bernard diverted the river and built a fine stone bridge over it (c 1793) which is currently being restored thanks to generous grant aid from the Country Houses Foundation.